"If I have already answered this, that is why I don't need to be doing it. The short-term memory has left me in a strange situation." 

When I first asked my new friend if he had considered working in the children's ministry at our church I did not know he had short term memory loss. I have known him for several months and had not noticed. He is kind, shakes my hand when I see him, and ask " Keith how are you doing today." Until I asked  him to teach with me in our children's ministry which has several linear steps to get "approved" required, did I learn of this memory loss. 


I cried when I got the text. I knew that many people would not understand and many people would just back away. I experienced this when I was 12-13 years old with one of my favorite people. Alvin Rohlack, my grandfather. Alvin you see had a disease called Huntington's. Named after a Dr. Huntington who first described the neurological degenerative disease. You see my grandfather was thought to be a drunk, lazy, abusive, and mean. He actually was none of those things. He was slowly declining neurologically and the parts of his brain that controlled movement were first affected later the parts that provided reason. 

When my grandfather was bound to a hospital bed due to uncontrolled movements, I wrote this:

"You may take my mind, but you will NEVER take my Soul." Keith Rohlack

I lamented with God and this thing called Huntington's Disease. It would not win. In the end I believe even when people are at the end of their life, their soul is just about to be freed. Freed from this world, freed from the disease, freed from miss understanding, freed from inequality, freed from hurt, freed from sin. 

While it may not feel comfortable, today I encourage you to lean into loving well. Challenge yourself to not try and have all the answers just offer to listen. Seek to know your neighbors,  ask them  how they are  doing, offer a word of hope and encouragement. Value is found in the way we love and help others feel loved. Do you know someone well enough that they may open their heart to you? #upliftseniors

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reflections

Happy Martin Luther King Jr. Day!